POSTING SCHEDULE

Beginning March 2, 2014 no new posts. Please use the Archive and Topical listings.



CONTACT ME

If you would like to receive a weekly e-mail reminder of each new post e-mail your request to: paulajhoover@hotmail.com



You may also contact me at the above e-mail address with any comments or questions that you may have regarding any post. Please indicate that your comments are confidential and they will not be shared on the blog site.



Sunday, March 21, 2010

Why Should God Love Me?





“But God demonstrates his own love for us in this:

While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”


Romans 5:8 NIV


Today I am pondering why is God so good to me. Why it is that God would choose to rescue any of us from sin. The fact is that humanity has always treated God poorly. A more sobering fact is that many in our world today still ignore God and treat him as if he is nonexistent!

I’m thinking that the reason for this is that people really don’t get it! They don’t understand the love that God has for each of them. Because we live in a selfish world, the selfless love modeled by Jesus is completely foreign to our way of thinking. People are clueless regarding the atrocity of the events that preceded the crucifixion and the actual act of crucifixion. People can’t see God’s provision for them because in their own egotistical controlling mind they don’t believe that they need to be provided for. But the greatest thing that people do not seem to get is the incredible blessing of Jesus’ sacrifice for them and what it will mean to them in eternity. For those who accept Jesus Christ, they are guaranteed a life in heaven with God the Father for all eternity.

So the question still begs to be answered. Why should God love me? I’m afraid I really don’t know. All I know is that he does. I too, am amazed by it all. God created us and he loves his creation. Sin kidnapped us and God wants us back! If I really “got it” and could understand the great cost of the ransom that God paid for me, perhaps I would be more obedient and trusting, and perhaps I would find more time to thank him for his blessings. Perhaps I would want to share the wonderful truth of this precious gift of salvation with more people. Perhaps I would pray more. Perhaps I would be more willing to love my neighbor and to forgive as I have been forgiven. Perhaps I would worship and praise him more. I believe that in heaven our gratitude will flow in non-stoppable praise and worship because we finally get it!


Questions:

Are you ever amazed that God loves you?

Have you accepted his love and forgiveness in you life?

Do you relate to the thought that we really don’t fully “get it?”

What are some ways that you might gain greater understanding of God’s love?


Prayer:

Dear Jesus,

I confess in the whole scheme of things I am pretty clueless regarding your selfless love! I pray today that I will continue to seek to understand your love and sacrifice for me more and more. Thank you for the understanding that I do have and I thank you for the understanding that is yet to come. Yes Jesus, I am totally amazed that you would love me. It is understandable that you would love me if I was perfect and good. But I can hardly wrap my mind around the fact that while I was still a sinner separated from you, you still loved me. I am comforted to know that even though everyday I continue to sin in word, thought and deed, yet your love and forgiveness is offered fresh and new every morning. I thank you Jesus for your amazing love. Please help me to “get it!”

In Your Name I pray. Amen.

No comments: