POSTING SCHEDULE

Beginning March 2, 2014 no new posts. Please use the Archive and Topical listings.



CONTACT ME

If you would like to receive a weekly e-mail reminder of each new post e-mail your request to: paulajhoover@hotmail.com



You may also contact me at the above e-mail address with any comments or questions that you may have regarding any post. Please indicate that your comments are confidential and they will not be shared on the blog site.



Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Perfect Pearl




“…the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls.
When he found one of great value,
he went away and sold everything he had and bought it.”


Matthew 13:45-46 NIV



Today I am writing about shopping. If you are like me you love a sale! When I enter a store I head straight to the back to check out what is on the sale racks. Don’t you just love those “red dot” sales and what about those in store coupons? Not to mention the outlet malls! Why do I get so excited about getting a bargain? I think that it is because there is something so exhilarating about finding something of great value at a lesser price. I brag to my friends about my great find and I wear my purchase as a badge of honor! I am so happy that I dance the dance of joy in the dressing room!

Not only do I want a bargain when I go shopping but when it comes to clothes, I also want a perfect fit! In my case that is not easy. That dressing room experience is not always so pretty! I would like to know how in the world the same pair of petite pants can fit a person who is 5’1” and also a person who is 5’4”. And what about those of us who are not perfectly proportioned! We women are an assortment of fat arms, big butts, no necks, giraffe necks, midriff bulge, big thighs, wide shoulders, flat chests, big boobs, and the list goes on and on! Get real, I will go for a bargain but the bottom line is I will pay big bucks for the “perfect” fit!

I was reading in Matthew today about a merchant who was shopping for pearls. The only difference was that this merchant wasn’t looking for a bargain. He was willing to pay a very huge price for the perfect pearl. In this story we learn that the merchant did indeed, find such a pearl and he went away and sold everything he had and bought the priceless pearl. The pearl is symbolic of the kingdom of heaven. The truth found in this scripture tells us that heaven will be worth us selling everything that we own in order to purchase a seat in heaven.

Jesus is also the pearl of great value! When we find the One of great value we are blessed beyond all measure. The twist in this truth is that we do not have to sell all that we have to enter heaven. No, we simply accept the One who gives us access to heaven. Knowing this glorious news brings unspeakable joy to my heart!


Questions:

Do you see yourself being worth the sacrifice that Jesus made for you?

Do you see Jesus as being worth all you have?

Prayer:

Dear Jesus,

You are that perfect One! Thank you for finding me and giving your life, all that you had so that I might find you. Even though you do not ask me to sell all that I own, you do ask me to give up all of my selfish, sinful behavior. Lord, I pray that every day I will be willing to give more of myself to you.

In Your Name I pray. Amen.

No comments: