POSTING SCHEDULE

Beginning March 2, 2014 no new posts. Please use the Archive and Topical listings.



CONTACT ME

If you would like to receive a weekly e-mail reminder of each new post e-mail your request to: paulajhoover@hotmail.com



You may also contact me at the above e-mail address with any comments or questions that you may have regarding any post. Please indicate that your comments are confidential and they will not be shared on the blog site.



Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Trees of the Field Clap Their Hands


“You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;
the mountains and hills will burst into song before you,
and all the trees of the field will clap their hands.”
Isaiah 55:12 NIV

Although autumn is beautiful, it sill is not my favorite season because the crispness of autumn signals the coming winter. All of my flower gardens suffer the sad effects of the cool days of autumn. The annuals die and my perennials are in need of being cut back as they prepare for their winter nap.

Yet there are moments in autumn that our amazing God dips his creative hand down to earth and swishes his glorious paint brush over the trees creating a thrilling scene! It is especially beautiful against the back drop of a deep blue cloudless autumn sky. This exquisite picture is indeed a feast for my eyes!

I believe this may have been what the prophet Isaiah was describing when he wrote that the mountains and hills burst into song and the trees of the field clap their hands. The display of the rich red, orange, gold and yellow leaves of autumn are indeed reason for the trees to clap their hands in praise to their creator. It is this autumn beauty that ushers in the harvest and Thanksgiving Day.

Every Thanksgiving, right before prayer, our family sits before our Thanksgiving feast and each of us pick up the two kernels of Indian corn that has been placed at our plate. As a small basket makes its way around the table every adult and child drop into the basket their corn kernels, and one at a time each person express two special blessings that they want to thank God for.

This year my thanks will not be for the many temporal blessing of provision that God has given to me, but rather for two other amazing gifts. The first gift is the joy that I have in my soul even during days of trouble and uncertainty. The second gift that I am grateful for is God’s sweet gift of his peace.

This Thanksgiving I want to join in with the trees of the field and clap my hands in praise, worship, and thanksgiving for two of the most satisfying gifts that God could ever bestow upon me, his joy and his peace.

Questions:


Can you think of a special time when you witnessed the beauty of nature praising God?

What two things are you the most thankful for this Thanksgiving?



Prayer:

Dear God,

Thank you for such a beautiful visual of how the trees of the field clap their hands in praise and worship. God, create in me a pure heart that also praises you in delight for all of your amazing works. Today I bow before you with a thankful heart for the many blessings that you have brought into my life. Thank you also for your joy and peace.

In Your Son’s Name I pray. Amen.

1 comment:

Thoughts for the day said...

when I read this I immediately started to sing the song... and it was good.

we should all clap our hands for a God who is so deserving of our praise.