POSTING SCHEDULE

Beginning March 2, 2014 no new posts. Please use the Archive and Topical listings.



CONTACT ME

If you would like to receive a weekly e-mail reminder of each new post e-mail your request to: paulajhoover@hotmail.com



You may also contact me at the above e-mail address with any comments or questions that you may have regarding any post. Please indicate that your comments are confidential and they will not be shared on the blog site.



Sunday, February 27, 2011

My Thoughts

“As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he:”
Proverbs 23:7a KJV


Everyday my mind is filled with so many thoughts. I can’t even attempt to count them all. On some days I may have a predominate thought that keeps surfacing over and over again. If it is a troublesome thought I am prone to shift my emotions to fear or worry. If it is a thought from the Holy Spirit I can either find myself convicted of a wrong, called to obey, or delightfully loved. If convicted of sin I tend to struggle with God. If called to obedience I tend to argue with God. If the thought reveals to me that I am extravagantly loved by God my emotions shift this time to peace, joy and thanksgiving.

I have come to realize that I have no control over what thought pops into my head, but I must take personal responsibility for what I do with that thought. As believers, we must choose to take captive all of our negative thoughts. “We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” 2 Corinthians 10:5 NIV We must seek to know how Jesus would respond to all of our negative thoughts. “Let this mind be in you that was also in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 2:5 KJV

There are many ways that we can come to know how the Master thinks. We hear God’s truth spoken through ministers, teachers, and Christian mentors. We also learn how Jesus thinks by reading the Bible. It is through all of these avenues that we learn how Jesus Christ thinks. How Jesus thought had everything to do with how he behaved. His thoughts and attitudes are the thoughts and attitudes that we must aspire to imitate in our life.

It seems to me that there is a huge connection between the spiritual heart and the mind. I would like to suggest that if they are not one and the same, they are strongly connected. I am absolutely sure that what I do with my thoughts is very important. Because how I think is how I will behave. “As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he:” Proverbs 23:7 KJV.

I am reminded that I live in a world that thinks differently than God and whose values are not the same as God’s values. Because I am surrounded by such a constant flow of negative influence I must work to learn how the Master thinks so that I can counter that worldly view. As a mother, I learned early on that every negative, selfish, greedy thought that was tossed out to my children had to be countered at home with a double measure of positive godly influence.

Every moment of my life I must choose to give up all of my selfish, greedy, get even, unforgiving, angry, fearful thoughts to the Spirit of God. The power of the Holy Spirit is what gives me the power to purposely choose the Master’s thoughts over my thoughts. When I replace my thoughts with Jesus’ thoughts my life will reflect Jesus to others.

Jesus’ thoughts are always loving, trusting, giving, selfless, compassionate, merciful, forgiving and peaceful thoughts. His way of thinking is developed within us moment by moment day by day as we go about our life. It is always good to remember that our first thought does not have to be our last thought on the matter. Somewhere between our first thought and our last thought flows God’s amazing, thought changing grace. I will be the first one to say that some thoughts are easier to let go of than others. The thoughts that cause us the most pain seem to want to stick like Satan’s super glue. Take heart, there is a higher power! It is found in the solvent of God’s mercy and grace. When this solvent of mercy and grace is applied to our heart by the Holy Spirit our pain, our anger, our fear, our unforgiveness, and our hatred all melt away. The healing balm of Jesus’ mercy and grace is massaged into our heart by the hand of our loving God. This balm is only available to us when we choose to think like Jesus and ask for the power of the Holy Spirit to help us willingly relinquish each sinful thought.

Questions:

Are you this day experiencing thoughts of God’s peace and love for you?

Is there a negative predominate thought that keeps plaguing you?

What would the opposite godly thought be?

What do you think about the possibility of choosing to give up that negative thought?


Prayer:

Dear Master,

I am so thankful that you do not hold me accountable for every thought that pops into my head. However, I am beginning to understand that I am accountable for what I choose to do with that thought. I admit that I am human and I cannot control the thoughts that enter my mind. I also admit that sometimes changing my thoughts to your thoughts is a struggle. My sinful nature does not want to allow my flesh to give in to your Spirit. I am grateful that through the power of your Holy Spirit I can choose to overcome the struggle and reject the thought that is bringing me down. Help me Lord, to stay alert and quickly recognize those ungodly thoughts. Help me to cast them out of my mind before they take root in my heart. Lord, teach me every day how you think. I do desire that my negative thoughts will become your thoughts, thoughts that reflect your love.

In Your Name I pray. Amen.

No comments: