POSTING SCHEDULE

Beginning March 2, 2014 no new posts. Please use the Archive and Topical listings.



CONTACT ME

If you would like to receive a weekly e-mail reminder of each new post e-mail your request to: paulajhoover@hotmail.com



You may also contact me at the above e-mail address with any comments or questions that you may have regarding any post. Please indicate that your comments are confidential and they will not be shared on the blog site.



Sunday, June 19, 2011

A Father Who's a Cut Above the Rest

“Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name,
he gave the right to become children of God – “ John 1:12 NIV



Today is Father’s Day and immediately I am thinking about my own father, who loved God and exhibited a strong faith in God in all circumstances. He may not have been the best father in the world but by no means was he the worst. In fact he was a pretty wonderful Daddy. The bottom line was and still is, he was my father and I loved him in spite of any imperfections.

My husband is also a father to two children, and in my opinion he is a wonderful father. I’m sure, (just like me, as a mother,) he would like some “do-overs” but life does not afford us that luxury. You see, we get handed those bundles of pink and blue at the hospital and we don’t know what to do with them. It is a day by day learning process. When a man becomes a father he is not only expected to provide for his children, he is also responsible for their well being, emotional maturity, spiritual growth and development, health, education, and discipline. Not to mention, the “being there” at every activity. The ideal father is also responsible for providing family fun, having a listening ear, and an understanding and agreeable heart. Being a perfect father is very challenging! No, my children’s father was not the best father, nor was he the worst. He is however, a wonderful father.

You see, fathers are not perfect! Especially in their children’s eyes there seems to be plenty of room for improvement. Yet most of us need to step back and take a hard look at not what our fathers did with us and for us, but rather who they are down deep inside. If you have a father who is or was a man of integrity then you are blessed. If your father loves or loved God and exhibited a strong faith in God then you are double blessed! Try looking deep into his soul and discover what a wonderful man he really is. Discover his amazing character traits that make him a man of great value and worth.

I am sad to say that many fathers are mean and cruel, angry and abusive, lazy and irresponsible, drill sergeants and dictators. Obviously, these men should have never been fathers in the first place. Having a father like that makes it extremely hard to put your faith and trust in our Heavenly Father. If your image of what “a father” looks like is based on an abusive father then your image of God may be distorted and clouded.

But today I want to think about my Heavenly Father, who is a cut above the rest. None of the mistakes of our earthly fathers are found in him. He is completely loving, a rock of stability, a shelter in a storm, a dependable provider, a trustworthy friend, a promise keeper, a faithful father, a father who neither slumbers or sleeps, a father who hears and listens, a father who protects and guards, and a father who looks after your eternal good. Our Heavenly Father is available twenty-four-seven! He even allows me to call him “Abba Father” which means – “Dear Daddy”.

On this Father’s Day I want to give thanks for my own wonderful, less than perfect father. I want to give thanks to the father of my children who is amazing in every way, yet less than perfect. And I want to give thanks to my Heavenly Father who is many cuts above the rest. I guess God allows us to see the imperfection in our earthly fathers so that we can be in utter awe of our perfect Heavenly Father!


Questions:

Are your memories of your father good or bad?

Has this affected how you view God?

Do you see that God is a cut above all others?

Have you accepted Jesus Christ?
If so, you have the right to be called a child of God and call him your Father.

Are you amazed at how truly perfect and wonderful your Heavenly Father is?


Prayer:

Dear Heavenly Father,

Thank you for allowing me to be called your precious child. Today I am amazed that I have the good fortune of having a truly perfect and wonderful Heavenly Father. God help me this day to ______________ (love, appreciate, forgive) my own father. I pray God that you will call fathers to be men of faith and integrity. Help fathers to reflect the godly qualities and attributes that are found in you. Forgive my negative thoughts about my own father. Help me to look deep inside his heart and see all the good that you have placed there. Father, bless my father this day and keep him safe and in your care. For all fathers who do not know you Lord, I pray that they will seek and find you.

In Jesus Name I Pray. Amen

No comments: