POSTING SCHEDULE

Beginning March 2, 2014 no new posts. Please use the Archive and Topical listings.



CONTACT ME

If you would like to receive a weekly e-mail reminder of each new post e-mail your request to: paulajhoover@hotmail.com



You may also contact me at the above e-mail address with any comments or questions that you may have regarding any post. Please indicate that your comments are confidential and they will not be shared on the blog site.



Sunday, December 18, 2011

Christmas In the Garden




“For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ,
that though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor,
so that you through his poverty might become rich.”
2 Corinthians 8:9 NIV



Even on a day when there is so much to do I feel I must spend time in the garden. The garden is especially beautiful this time of year. Freshly fallen snow and holly bushes bearing the brightest red berries that I have ever seen, welcome me to the garden. Poinsettias provide a blanket of red on a nearby hill. The air is crisp and dozens of red cardinals fly first here and then there. They are incredibly beautiful birds! God’s color combinations are always perfect. Dark tree bark provides outstanding contrast against the pure white snow. Evergreens and holly bushes add a stately background of green that allows the vibrant accents of the red cardinals, the holly, and Nandina berries all project their beauty. This winter scene is a breathtaking vision of splendor. My garden parades beautiful Poinsettias and amaryllis up and down every pathway. Yes, I know that Poinsettias and amaryllis bulbs freeze in a cold environment but in the garden of my heart I can have it all!

During my time of personal prayer and reflection the Master Gardener seems to sense that I am cold. Even though I am appropriately dressed I cannot deny the chill. He smiles and says come with me. The Gardener invites me to come and sit by the fire that he has built in one corner of the garden. I reach down in my bag and pull out a thermos of hot chocolate and two mugs. At the last minute I add a peppermint candy cane. He smiles and says, “You remembered.” Yes, the cane is the shape of an upside down “J” that stands for Jesus. The pure white peppermint serves as a reminder that Jesus takes away our sin and makes my heart as white as snow. The three stripes of red that twist around the candy cane stand for the three wounds of Jesus and I am reminded that it is by his bloody stripes that am I healed. Yes Lord, I remember. How could I forget? You are so precious to me.

Never mind that I have much to do, I must continue to stay in the garden. The day has now turned to night. The heavenly stars twinkle and the full moon is perfect. All day long I have been with Jesus and it has been a wonderful day. Before leaving the garden Jesus takes me back to a place long ago. In my mind I see a lowly stable. I see Mary gazing into the eyes of her child and her Savior. I see Joseph standing guard over Jesus and realizing that someday he would grow to depend upon this now helpless baby. The stable is quiet except for an occasional sound from the animals. The moon and the stars above the stable provide all of the light that they need. But even if the stars should dim the Christ child would shine because he is the light of the world. And now the guests begin to arrive. They are lowly shepherds coming with their sheep. The shepherds bow at the manger in worship. They have come not to worship a child but to bow before the King.

As I leave the garden I feel abundantly blessed and lavishly loved. I am truly amazed that God would choose to leave the splendor and glory of heaven and come to earth for me and for you. He was rich, yet he became poor. What kind of love is this?

Questions:

Have you taken time this season to focus on Jesus and his entry into our sinful world?

What do you think those who witnessed that Holy night thought about Jesus?

What was the rest of the world doing?

Prayer:

Dear Jesus,

Thank you so much for leaving the splendor and glory of heaven. How very different this world must have been for you. As you grew older were you homesick for heaven and for your Heavenly Father? While you lived on earth did you feel the love of Mary and Joseph? Did you mind being poor? How often did you remember how rich you used to be? Jesus, your birth was only the beginning. Jesus I am humbled when I remember that it was for the moment of the cross that you came to this world. Doing the will of your Father was your only focus. God’s will was your death. Your death was the plan for my forgiveness. Lord Jesus, help me to fall so deeply in love with you that I will be willing to do your will each and every day without question. This Christmas I want to rejoice in your perfect gift to me, my salvation. Jesus thank you for all you have done for me.

In Your name I pray. Amen.

No comments: