POSTING SCHEDULE

Beginning March 2, 2014 no new posts. Please use the Archive and Topical listings.



CONTACT ME

If you would like to receive a weekly e-mail reminder of each new post e-mail your request to: paulajhoover@hotmail.com



You may also contact me at the above e-mail address with any comments or questions that you may have regarding any post. Please indicate that your comments are confidential and they will not be shared on the blog site.



Sunday, January 1, 2012

God Is My Authority For Guidance

“Show me your ways, O lord, teach me your paths;

guide me in your truth and teach me,

for you are God my Savior,

and my hope is in you all day long.”

Psalm 25:4-5 NIV


I know that I will never reach a point in my life when I no longer need God. As a believer, part of my personal relationship with Jesus Christ is that I have the privilege of asking God for his divine guidance in every situation that comes into my life.

My entire life I have experienced multiple times when I have had a need for guidance. Some of those needs have been for guidance in meeting my husband, a career choice, which job to accept, where I should live, how to be a better parent, what I should do during a financial crisis, when to move ahead or when to let go, and sometimes how to respond to a difficult person. The list goes on and on!

It is my nature to rush ahead of God and make my own plans. When I find myself uncertain as to what decision I should make, I often seek the advice of another person. Some people consult horoscopes, or a self proclaimed guru, tarot cards, a crystal ball, Ouija boards and fortune tellers. The likes of these are of no value whatsoever! In fact, these are crafty tools used by Satan to keep us from seeking God and all he has for us! However, the Bible tells me that above myself and all others, even good friends and well meaning people, I must learn to seek the guidance of God. “In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.” Proverbs 3:6 KJV It has been my experience that during the times when I have failed to consult God I have often added unnecessary complications and consequences to my life.

The practice of seeking God’s wisdom for all of my decisions should become as natural to me as eating food. This year my prayer is that I will not rush ahead of God, but rather, that I will first seek God’s guidance in all I do. Asking for God’s divine guidance really is nothing more than this very simple prayer, “God, please show me what I should do.” After I have prayed that prayer I should immediately, as an act of faith, start actively looking for God’s guidance in my life.

For me, a starting point for recognizing God’s guidance would be to take a look and see where God is already working in my life. I must prayerfully consider the fact that God may be keeping me on the current page of my life a little while longer or he may be nudging me to move on. I am also learning that God often speaks to me through my desires, my thoughts, or through an open door of opportunity. Sometime God speaks and directs me through the appropriately spoken words of another person. A gentle word from the Holy Spirit that is no louder than a whisper or a reoccurring one word message that seems to hit me everywhere I turn. I seem to hear a voice behind me saying, "This is the way; walk in it." Isaiah 30:21b

I have come to realize that God places specific people in my life for a reason. God also puts me in places where my experiences will help me learn and prepare me for the days ahead. Therefore, it is important that I completely trust God to lead me down the path that I should take in his perfect timing. As a means of protection, I need to also ask God to take away any desires or opportunities that would not be in my best interest.

In God’s attempt to guide me he will not push or force me down his path but instead he calls me to follow him. I am discovering that when I find that I am lost and on the wrong road it is because I decided to do the leading. Other times it has been when I have wanted my plan, my dream, or my passion satisfied so I pressed on full speed ahead. At one point in my life, I believed Satan’s lie that said, “If it’s to be, it’s up to me!” Many times I have found myself on the wrong road when I have refused to relinquish the control of my future and simply trust future days to God. “In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.” Proverbs 16:9 NIV

Other times I have wondered if my part was just to sit back and do nothing. Because God has made us intelligent beings with thought processing ability we are always to do all that we know to do. We are to work hard and be responsible. I believe that we are to attempt to walk through every open door until God closes that door tightly. It is important to seek God’s wisdom so that we will know the difference between a closed door and a road block. Satan often sets up roadblocks, those things that discourage us, slow us down and cause doubt. Thwarting God’s plan for us is right down Satan’s alley. In many cases road blocks are sure signs that we are indeed on the right path. "But the plans of the LORD stand firm forever,” Psalm 33:11a NIV

As believers, learning to pay attention to our inner spirit is an important process. Acknowledging God and asking for his direction for our life is never a mistake. It is the path to our greatest joy. It is not always a road that is free of pain and hardship, but still it is the right road. The road to Calvary was more difficult than we could ever imagine, but it was the road by which Jesus glorified his Father.

Questions:

Are you facing major decisions in the coming New Year?



Are you currently praying about those decisions?



Do you see that perhaps you may be on your road instead of God’s road?



Are you holding on to what you want or are you allowing God to show you what he desires for your life?



Are you having trouble trusting God?



What can you do to learn more about trusting God?

Prayer:

Dear Awesome, Almighty, All Knowing, All Present, All Powerful God,

How could I ever trust in anything or anyone other than you? You have been faithful in the past, and you are faithful today. Therefore, I know you will be faithful tomorrow. Forgive me for clinging so tightly to control and for not being able to trust you with my life and the lives of those I love. God, help me this new year to trust you for guidance in all that I do, or consider doing. Help me to trust you for the hard things in life that frighten me. Help me to learn about trusting you by reading about trust in your Word. Help me to tune in to YOUR messages of guidance that are all around me. Help me to see YOUR sunrise every day and know that you can be trusted. Teach me and guide me for you God are my hope all day long every day.

In Your Son’s name I pray. Amen.

No comments: