POSTING SCHEDULE

Beginning March 2, 2014 no new posts. Please use the Archive and Topical listings.



CONTACT ME

If you would like to receive a weekly e-mail reminder of each new post e-mail your request to: paulajhoover@hotmail.com



You may also contact me at the above e-mail address with any comments or questions that you may have regarding any post. Please indicate that your comments are confidential and they will not be shared on the blog site.



Sunday, April 29, 2012

Shaking the Heavens and the Earth

“This is what the LORD Almighty says:
‘In a little while I will once more shake the heavens and the earth,
the sea and the dry land. I will shake all nations
and the desired of all nations (Jesus) will come,
and I will fill this house with glory,’ says the LORD Almighty.”
Haggai 2:6-7 NIV


All of nature obeys God, it is only people who continue to put their fingers in their ears and flippantly and sarcastically say, “La, la, la, la, I can’t hear you!” It is only people who try to negotiate with God for their will over his will. It is only people who walk away and pretend to believe that God does not exist. It is only people who hear but choose to disobey.

I am amazed at the enormous love of God. I am baffled by his patience with mankind, and I am in awe of God’s mighty power, yet gentle ways.

“The LORD said, ‘Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by.’ Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper.”      1 Kings 19:11-12 NIV

The God of the universe, the Creator of all people in every nation, continues to cry out to all humanity. It seems that if I were god I would choose to trash this place and start over; BUT GOD chooses to redeem people and will someday restore this earth.

Sometimes it seems that when catastrophe strikes, these acts of God are not acts that would come from a loving God. It seems that he is an angry God. It appears that God is trying to teach mankind a lesson. It is often viewed as punishment for our sin. What if it is neither of the above mentioned scenarios? What if it is God loving mankind so lavishly that he uses natural disasters as an attempt to get our attention in a BIG way? Maybe we shouldn’t be looking at the storm but listening for his gentle whisper.

I believe that God whispers his love daily in our ears. Often we refuse to hear, believe, and obey until his still small whisper becomes louder. Sometimes the volume of our busy lifestyle is turned up to deafening levels that make it very hard for us to hear the whisper of God. It appears that God is often forced to pick up a megaphone and shout, “The great ‘I AM’ is here, in the wind, in the rain, in the earthquake, and in the waves. Now the question is…are you there?” In the devastating storms of nature and in personal storms within me I must find a quiet place so that I can hear God’s message of love that comes in a gentle whisper. The message is, “I love you, I will care for you, I will get you through this tragedy, all I want is for you to trust and love me.

Without a doubt, we are living in days when God is shaking the heavens and the earth. Yes, it is Biblical truth. “Even the wind and the waves obey him!” Mark 4:41b NIV God’s Word also tells us that, “Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All of theses are the beginning of birth pains.” Matthew 24:7-8 NIV. These visible birth pains are heavenly signs that our deliverance is near. A mother knows that birth pains only increase! After the birth pains comes the wonderful moment when we deliver our child. The first must usher in the last. God too, wants to deliver his children.

God loves humanity so much that he desperately wants to get our attention. He is shaking the heavens and the earth. Be still and know that he is God and that he loves you. Listen for his gentle whisper. The “desired of all nations” is coming again, but first he is shaking the heavens and the earth.

Questions:

Have you considered the fact that God is speaking to all of humanity through, tornados, hurricanes, volcanoes, earthquakes, tsunamis, and other violent storms?

Do you see this as a divine act of God’s punishment or a divine act of his love?

How well are you listening to this very visual voice of God?

Have you asked God to allow you to hear his gentle whisper before he finds it necessary to send a turbulent storm into your life?

Prayer:

Dear God,

I know that not all of the storms that come into my life come because I am not listening. You told us that in this life we would have trouble. God, I am so thankful that no matter the reason there is a storm in my life you are with me and you do faithfully whisper words of comfort to my heart. Help me remember that you are NOT the storm, but that you lovingly use storms so I might hear your gentle whisper. Protect me from being so devastated by the storms in my life that I miss your whispers of love that come to sustain me during and after the storm. God, help me to remember that all of nature obeys your voice and so must I.

In your Son’s name I pray. Amen.

No comments: