POSTING SCHEDULE

Beginning March 2, 2014 no new posts. Please use the Archive and Topical listings.



CONTACT ME

If you would like to receive a weekly e-mail reminder of each new post e-mail your request to: paulajhoover@hotmail.com



You may also contact me at the above e-mail address with any comments or questions that you may have regarding any post. Please indicate that your comments are confidential and they will not be shared on the blog site.



Friday, February 14, 2014

God's Valentines To You


“Cast all you anxiety on Him because He cares for you!”
1 Peter 5:7 NIV

Today I admit that many times in my life there have been days when I have been in the middle of a situation that consumed all of my thinking. At times I have had a heavy, dark cloud of dread that hung over my head. I confess that many times I have been worried and concerned for days and nights at a time. I have also experienced a heavy pain in my heart that would not leave. Today, what is that circumstance that leaves you feeling fearful, helpless and out of control? Is there something in your life that you wish would change or go away?
 
No matter what it is that is plaguing us today or any day, I Peter 5:7 is a reminder that we are not alone in our situation! As I read that I am to cast all of my anxiety on God, because He cares for me, I realize that I must choose to embrace this verse and take it into my heart! The Bible has many examples of how intimately God knows and cares for each one of us. God does not loose track of a single human being that He has created.
 
Today we celebrate Valentine’s Day. I want to share with you some of God’s Valentines that carry the message of his everlasting love.
 
Valentine 1 – Jesus, the Good Shepherd knows your name.
 
“The man who enters by the gate
is the shepherd of his sheep.
…and the sheep listen to his voice.
He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.”
John 10:2-3b NIV

I am amazed that God knows my name and never forgets it! I can’t tell you how many people I have been introduced to and two minutes later I can’t remember their name. God knows my name and He knows yours too, and he will never forget it!

Valentine 2 – God has known all of your days even before you were born.

“My frame was not hidden from you when
I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me were written in your book
before one of them came to be.”
Psalm 139:15-16 NIV

It astounds me that God knew me before I was even formed in my mother’s womb. Even before a single day came to be all of my days were ordered by God. When it comes to our lives, we are always surprised by what happens to us in this life, no matter if it is good or bad. However, God is never surprised by the events that unfold in each of our lives. That’s why it is so safe to trust him, because God is prepared for every circumstance even when we aren’t.
 
Valentine 3 – God knows the number of hairs on your head.
 
“And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered.”
Matthew 10:30 NIV

I don’t know about you but every time I brush my hair some of my hair falls out. But God keeps track of each hair on my head and counts them all over and over again. I for one, am amazed!

Valentine 4 – God watches you sleep.

 "He will not let your foot slip –
He who watches over you will not slumber;
indeed He who watches…
will neither slumber nor sleep.”
Psalm 121:3-4 NIV

 When was the last time you watched a precious little child sleep? When a little child is sleeping they are perfectly still. Sleeping children are precious! They are not fussing or doing a single thing that could get them into trouble. As we watch that child sleep our love for that child just flows from our heart. Imagine this…God watches YOU sleep. What a vision that is and what a comfort. Even with all of our flaws and shortcomings, God’s love pours out of his heart towards you and me as he watches us sleep. Do you still doubt that God loves and cares for you?
 
Valentine 5 – God stores your tears in a bottle.

 “You have taken account of my wanderings;
put my tears in Your bottle.
Are they not in your book?”
Psalm 56:8 NIV

 Our tears do not go unnoticed. God not only wipes away your tears He gathers them up and stores them in a bottle. What a loving reminder that God cares for us and never forgets our pain and sorrow.
 
Valentine 6 – God thinks precious thoughts of you.

 “How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
How vast the sum of them!
Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand.”
Psalm 139:17-18 NIV

God’s thoughts of you outnumber the sand. That means throughout your entire life God will think trillions of thoughts regarding you. Even in your sinfulness and failures, God’s thoughts regarding you are still precious! He hates sin but always loves the sinner! God knows who he created each of us to be and he is pleased. We may not be there yet, but his precious thoughts of us are always in our best interest. God never forgets what he wants to accomplish in us and through us. That is why we need to trust him in all things.
 
Questions:

1. Have you ever doubted that God cares for you?
2. Which of God’s Valentines to you do you love the most?

Prayer:
 
Dear God,
 
Today I thank you for these truly wonderful Valentines that express your love for me in an incredible way. Forgive me for ever doubting your love and care for me. Please write all of these verses on my heart so that I will always remember how very much you love me. I pray that these verses will become so much a part of my thoughts that they will enable me to fall into your trusting arms each and every time that I am feeling overwhelmed, fearful, discouraged, or unloved. Lord, forgive me when I fail to return my love to you. You lavish your love on me everyday. Help me not to miss your love! Lord, I want to fall so deeply in love with you that my obedience to you will be nothing short of joy because I love you so deeply.
 
In your son’s name I pray. Amen.

No comments: