POSTING SCHEDULE

Beginning March 2, 2014 no new posts. Please use the Archive and Topical listings.



CONTACT ME

If you would like to receive a weekly e-mail reminder of each new post e-mail your request to: paulajhoover@hotmail.com



You may also contact me at the above e-mail address with any comments or questions that you may have regarding any post. Please indicate that your comments are confidential and they will not be shared on the blog site.



Sunday, April 1, 2012

Washing Feet

“Having loved his own who were in the world,
he now showed them the full extent of his love.”

John 13:1b NIV


“…so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciple’s feet,

drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him.”

John 13:4-5 NIV

Have you ever had a pedicure? How good does that feel? I’ll tell you how good it feels, it feels wonderful! Do you have anyone who will rub your feet? I hope you do because that feels wonderful as well!

I have always been captivated by the Biblical account of Jesus washing his disciple’s feet. In the book of John we read that during the meal, Jesus got up to wash the feet of Peter, James, John, Andrew, Philip, Bartholomew, Matthew, Thomas, James, the son of Alphaeus, Thaddaeus, Simon, and Judas, his soon to be betrayer. Then he returned to the Passover meal.

Those whose feet Jesus washed were not faceless, nameless people. They were his friends. These men were also the men on his team. Yet there was one of the twelve who was not really his friend. He appeared to be a teammate, but he was not. He was a betrayer. His name was Judas. Judas left during the meal and went out into the darkness of night to betray the one who loved him. I wonder how Judas felt as Jesus washed his feet. Had Satan convinced him that Jesus, the all knowing God, did not know what he was about to do?


Dusty, dirty feet were usually washed by a servant upon entering a house. However, it appears that Jesus was the one who washed the feet of his friends during the meal. Was this a second washing? If so, did this second washing signify that he came to earth to be a servant. Perhaps it signified our need to be born a second time by the washing of the blood?

Peter resisted the washing. “No, said Peter, “you shall never wash my feet.” Jesus answered, “Unless I wash you, you have no part with me.” “Then Lord," Simon Peter replied, “not just my feet but my hands and my head as well!” John 13:8-9 NIV

It is easy to understand Peter’s reluctance. After all, Jesus was their leader, not to mention he was the Son of God. Maybe Peter was remembering Jesus teaching them that he and the Father were one. Peter did not feel worthy of this demonstration of love poured out on him by his creator.

Often during Holy Week we focus on the pain and suffering that Jesus experienced on the cross. I think it is also good to focus on the love that brought Jesus to the obedience of the cross. First was his love for his Father. Second was his love for mankind. Jesus washed feet to demonstrate his love for mankind. “Having loved his own who were in the world, he now showed them the full extent of his love.” John 13:1b NIV

The last time I was at the beach I was walking along the shore. I had my shoes off and was enjoying the waves washing over my feet. I was moved to tears to think that Jesus was still washing feet and on this very special day he was washing mine! With every cool, refreshing, tender splash I felt his love.

Oh friend, God is not a far away God. No, God is so close to us we can even feel him washing our feet. Look around and see that he touches your life in a million ways. Don’t miss his touch. Look for it. Reach out and embrace the long arm of God. Enjoy his tender care, be refreshed by his love, and celebrate his blessings that are found on the canvas of all of nature. It is our heartfelt gratitude for the touch of Jesus on our life that produces heavenly joy within us!

Questions:

Has there been a time that God has touched you through his creation?
Do you see that his gifts of love never stop?
Are you thankful for the ultimate gift of his salvation?
How do you feel knowing that Jesus is able to wash your heart and your feet?

Prayer:

Dear Jesus,

This week I want to thank you for your incredible sacrifice. Your love for me is more than I can comprehend. It is higher than the heavens and deeper than the ocean. It was demonstrated on the cross and now you continue to demonstrate it every day over and over again. This knowledge is too wonderful for me! You have promised in your Word that you are preparing a place for me and that you will come again and take me home to live with you forever. Jesus, I thank you for your many gifts that surround me every day. Today I am especially thankful for that very special day at the beach when you took time to lovingly wash my feet. I now have another reason to return to the beach. I am looking forward to my next foot washing!

In your name I pray. Amen.

No comments: